The following are observations of a backpacking foodie:
Chicken comes prepackaged in a flashy vacuum-sealed plastic bag. Milk resembles powdered cocaine. It is OK to eat fish out of a can. Granola + cold river water make for an interesting breakfast. Instant coffee and bagged tea in the morning help to wake up… even if they are served in a soup bowl. Red wine from a carton box promotes bonding. Any food tastes fantastic when you have to carry it on your back for days.Tea in a soup bowl. Chicken in a bag
The following are observations of a foodie, two weeks after her backpacking adventure:
Table utensils, china, and napkins are as essential as a well paired bottle of wine. Spinach does make you stronger… but a raspberry vinaigrette turns it into a salad. Cliff bars can only imitate real food. Instant rice should never be elevated to the rank of a side dish. Fresh herbs and spices are not overrated. Food still tastes better when you have to carry it on your back.Three-Seed Cabbage Salad
Three-Seed Cabbage Salad
- 10 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1lb)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup seed mix (see below)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (although the author recommends canola oil)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ hulled green pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbs while cumin seeds
- 3 tbs white sesame seeds
- In a medium skillet, toast the pumpkin seeds over low heat, shaking constantly, until lightly browned and uniformly popped or puffed. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, toast the cumin and sesame seeds over low heat, shacking constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned; add to pumpkin seeds; cool.
- Store, in an airtight container, for up to 1 month.
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage, cilantro, seed mix, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper; toss well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve immediately.
P.S. If you want to bring it to a potluck, make the mix and dressing in advance, shred the cabbage the night before. Combine right before serving. I have also used other seeds/nuts in this salad (sunflower seeds, almond slivers) and they all tasted great.Three-Seed Cabbage Salad Three-Seed Cabbage Salad
This Riesling is a perfect match for the cabbage salad.