I love bold colors and I am not afraid to use them!
We had our rooms painted deep orange, buttercup yellow, brick red and silver metallic long before colorful walls became chic in California. My pre-kids car was of a dazzlingly crimson hue and my husband’s yellow Z3 stood out in traffic jams. Peek into my closet; I promise you won’t find too many beiges, pastels or grays in there.
When it comes to cooking and finding new recipes, I am always drawn to the most vibrant ones. Orange appetizers, emerald salads, maroon main courses… Today’s Beet and Orange Soup recipe is no exception; it is luscious in color and bold in flavor. I serve it often and every time it shows up on the table, it gets complimented on its rich colors… and I always get asked for a recipe.
Beet and Orange Soup
Adapted from Small Bites by Jennifer Joyce
- 1lb small beetroot, scrubbed and leaves trimmed
- 5 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbs fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar (use aged balsamic vinegar if you can)
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbs grated orange zest
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- Garnish: sour cream, chevre or Kefir and chopped chives
- Boil the beets for about an hour, or until easily pierced with knife and set aside to cool
- Heat the olive oil in a pot; add chopped onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper
- Sauté for 10 minutes and in the meantime peel and roughly chop the beets
- Plunk the beets in the pot; add balsamic vinegar, orange juice, zest and stock
- Simmer for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a blender or food processor and purée
- Garnished with a dollop of sour cream, spoonful of chevre or Kefir and chopped chives
For a vegan, diary-free variation, omit the sour cream
I’ll admit it, finding a wine match for this dish was a bit tricky. Tartness in the soup competes with the acidity of most wines that I tried. After some experimentation, I found Smith Sauvignon Blanc 2008 to be most fitting for this recipe. Fruity and lively, it compliments rather than interferes with the citrusy character of the soup.
5 thoughts on “Beet and Orange Soup”
My favorite soup!
It is so flavorful and colorful reminds me of summer and fun.
I remember how much you liked it. Thank you, Bella :)
What a pretty soup!
Made it and it was delic