In the first two weeks of the quarantine, I went through all of my kitchen drawers and shelves to prepare for shelter-in-place. Rice (wait, how old is that – last time I bought a bag of rice was over 10 years ago!), “fresh” thyme in the vegetable crisper that aged into a dry herb, homemade farmers cheese with a thin pink coat of mold (yikes!)
At the time, we did not know for sure how COVID spreads, and going to stores for fresh produce was highly discouraged, especially for the immunocompromised, like myself. Grocery delivery became a new norm but getting a delivery spot was as probable as winning a lottery.
So this past half a year, I’ve been cooking with what I’ve got on hand, instead of making daily trips to stores to hand-pick special ingredients. When Imperfect Produce delivers extra kale I never ordered, I make Kale chips, Kale salad, Kale breakfast hash, and Kale soup. If I see Zucchini on sale at Whole Foods delivery, I make zucchini cake (soon to be on my blog,) zucchini “butter”, zucchini soup, and zucchini crisps.
“Everything But the Kitchen Sink” salad
- ½ head Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 Asparagus spears, diced
- ½ Red onion, finely diced
- 2 Soft Boiled Eggs, sliced in quarters
- ¼ cup sliced almonds or sunflower seeds, toasted
- ¼ cup bacon bits
- Other ingredients you can add: avocado, kalamata olives, grape tomatoes, smoked or cooked salmon, leftover cooked chicken
- 2 tbsp EV Olive oil
- juice of ½ Lemon or lime, squeezed
- ¼ cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, smashed and finely diced
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- In a large bowl toss all salad ingredients, except for the eggs
- Arrange the eggs
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients, until well-blended.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, toss, and enjoy!
Although I am not much of a white wine drinker, I do feel that this salad pairs really well with a light sulfite-free natural Frey